Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Replacing Broken LCD Backlights

I found that breaking one of the backlights by accidentally stepping on it was not the most helpful thing in the world. As this would mean my monitor would not turn on. After a few hours of searching online I was able to find a suitable alternative to fix my problem. Turns out you can replace you backlights with cold cathodes used in PC case lighting. Being slack and impatient I decided to go straight to my local PC store and pay an exuberant amount money instead of just paying $10 from Ebay and waiting one week. Once I got the lights I had to cut the wires on the lights and splice on the connectors so it would plug into the LCD inverter. Pretty simple cut and solder process. Then I plugged everything back together and mounted the lights inside turned it all on and prayed. Fortunately my research had paid off and everything worked right away. New and improved back lighting was all working.
You can see the lights on the right hand side of the picture with the white cables.

No comments: